Invest in America with Asset Management Software
There should be ample opportunity to “invest in America” over the next few years as the Trump administration concentrates on improving the US infrastructure. Figuring out how to take advantage of this opportunity may be a challenge for some, but what is clear is NOW is the time to invest in a plan to organize, manage and monitor infrastructure assets.
Infrastructure assets – transportation networks, storm and sanitary systems, utility structures, and equipment – are vital to the commerce, health, and efficient operation of every municipality, large and small.
State and Local Governments; The Stewards of Our Infrastructure
Over time, assets fail; however, a comprehensive asset management program of maintenance, repair, and replacement extends the life of assets and reduces the costs of each. A comprehensive infrastructure asset management plan starts with an inventory and assessment of all infrastructure assets. The resulting information allows for prioritization of projects, maintaining a defined level of asset service, lowest lifecycle cost and budget for infrastructure investment.
An asset management plan also helps a municipality save money by considering all assets at once. When you know the condition of a street, what lies beneath, lighting and signage needs, safety and drainage conditions, and other criteria, municipalities can prioritize work based on the condition of all assets and address many issues at once.
Proactively detecting needed repairs prolongs the life of equipment. Asset management software also helps prioritize projects based on risk and criticality, and allows municipalities to invest capital improvement funds in ways that will have the greatest impact.
Investment in Public Infrastructure Fuels Economic Growth
The condition of a community’s infrastructure; roads, bridges, schools, water treatment plants, and other physical assets, greatly affects the municipalities ability to function and grow. Other economic benefits municipalities will realize from well-maintained and managed infrastructure include:
- Commerce requires well-maintained infrastructure to ensure manufacturers can obtain materials and parts, and deliver finished products to consumers.
- Improving public infrastructure boosts the productivity of businesses by reducing their costs.
- Communities rely on well-functioning infrastructure such as water and sewer systems and schools to function at full capacity.
- Better roads and public transit make it more efficient for workers to get from their home to places where the jobs are.
- Carefully targeted initiatives to maintain and improve public infrastructure boost a state’s long-term productivity, resulting in more economic growth and higher-wage jobs.
Maintenance is the Best Offense
It is not always realistic to update aging infrastructure and this means that organizations need to determine if it is time to repair or replace. The solution to this question usually lies within the maintenance department. And to make a knowledgeable decision, data about the state of the asset is needed. This is where Asset Management Software comes in to play and is critical.
Asset Management Software makes it easy to manage and report on all aspects of your operations including Work Orders, Infrastructure Assets, Compliance, Accounting, and Life-cycle Analysis. Asset Management Software helps municipalities:
- Organize and schedule maintenance
- Acts as a repository for manuals, schematics, and directions
- Helps you spot trends, see issues before they evolve into bigger problems
- Establish a preventive maintenance schedule to avoid unscheduled downtime and loss of productivity
As communities compete for limited resources, a comprehensive infrastructure asset management program is a useful tool for municipalities to reduce operational costs, extend the life of community assets, budget for maintenance and investment, and prioritize expenditures.
If you’re ready to automate your operations, WebDPW’s Public Works Asset Management Software offers a complete solution for your organization’s needs.
WebDPW is the best Public Works Software to manage and track your work orders, service scheduling, invoicing, and everything else you need to run a successful municipal operation.